FREE Arbor Day Festival at The Farm at South Mountain
Celebrate Historic Trees in the Phoenix Farm District on April 26th!
Arbor Day Festival at The Farm
6106 S. 32nd Street Phoenix, AZ 85042
Friday, April 26, 2019
9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
With over 160 trees, (some dating back to before World War II) it is only natural for The Farm at South Mountain to host a free celebration on Arbor Day for the community.
Gather and Grow at The Farm at South Mountain will be hosting its second Arbor Day Festival on Friday, April 26, 2019 with free community activities and demonstrations that incorporate sustainability and arboriculture. The Farm at South Mountain is dedicated to teaching all members of the community about recycling, composting, gardening, aquaponics and educational sustainability workshops. The theme of this Arbor Day Festival is community, which coincides with Gather and Grow’s mission to be the model of sustainability for the Phoenix community and trees are communities of their own. This event will be centered around arboriculture, sustainability, community and more!
Parents are encouraged to bring their children for the following free activities on Friday, April 26, 2019 from 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
• History of Arbor Day – Visit Gather and Grow’s table in the grove for our introduction that highlights the history of Arbor Day and how arboriculture plays a huge role here at The Farm.
• Tree Scavenger Hunt – Explore The Farm as you find different species of trees! Earn extra points by taking photos and using #TheFarmArborDay. Show the Gather and Grow team that you finished and the first 10 completed will win a special Farm prize!
• Tree Ring Count – Guess the age of each tree stump by the amount of tree rings! Guests that have the correct answer will be entered to win a prize!
• Bark Art Booth – Create your own tree art to take home at this bark art booth!
• Community of Trees – The Farm at South Mountain strives to make an impact on their community and a tree is a community of its own. Draw your own version of what a tree means to you!
• The Future of Arbor Day – The Founder of Arbor Day stated that “Other holidays repose upon the past; Arbor Day proposes for the future.” At this activity, write down your promises or goals towards arboriculture in your community!
At 12:00 p.m., the Gather and Grow at The Farm sustainability fellows will be demonstrating how to create your own compost and showcasing our vermiculture program here at The Farm. Learn how to create your own compost, the benefits of composting and how worms can help in this process!
No reservations are required to attend. This festival is free to all attendees. If attendees would like to enjoy breakfast or lunch before or after the festival, Morning Glory Café and The Farm Kitchen will be open for regular business hours.
Other sustainability organizations such as AZ Trees and Reimagine Phoenix, will be on site to provide resources and education.
*No outside food or drink is allowed at The Farm.